Problems with dialin line

curt at nstar curt at nstar
Tue Apr 16 14:54:43 AEST 1991

In article <NZXP29F at geminix.in-berlin.de>
  gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de (Uwe Doering) writes:

> curt at cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt Sampson) writes:
>
> >I'm running SCO Xenix 2.3.2 on a 286.  I have an NS16550AN on com port
> >2.
> >
> >Recently I tried to dial in to my dialin line and was unable to do
> >so.  The modem would pick up the phone and connect, and often I would
> >get the login prompt, but then the computer would immediately send a
> >short string of garbage and hang up.  When I tried doing a 'cu -l
> >tty2a dir' to check out the modem settings cu would say "Connect" and
> >then immediately claim that carrier had been dropped and hang up.
>
> I don't know whether this applies to Xenix, but according to my
> getty man page (ISC UNIX) there is a `-h' switch. If you omit it,
> getty will hang up the line just before it sets the baud rate.
> This seems to be what is happening to you.

Not likely.  The line worked perfectly for quite a while, and then had
this problem on and off for a week.  Then the problem turned itself on
permanantly.  Rebooting fixed it.  I don't think it's shown itself
since then.

cjs
--
curt at cynic.uucp         | all systems in the network is not known anywhere."