Problems with dialin line

Curt Sampson curt at cynic.wimsey.bc.ca
Thu Apr 11 15:56:43 AEST 1991

I'm running SCO Xenix 2.3.2 on a 286.  I have an NS16550AN on com port
2.

Recently I tried to dial in to my dialin line and was unable to do
so.  The modem would pick up the phone and connect, and often I would
get the login prompt, but then the computer would immediately send a
short string of garbage and hang up.  When I tried doing a 'cu -l
tty2a dir' to check out the modem settings cu would say "Connect" and
then immediately claim that carrier had been dropped and hang up.

Rebooting fixed the problem.  Is there a permanant fix?  Is it in the
tty driver?  Would switching over to FAS208 fix the problem?  (It's on
my list of things as soon as I get a high speed modem, anyway, so that
I can use the buffer on the 16550.)

Thanks for your help.
--
curt at cynic.uucp         | all systems in the network is not known anywhere."