Problems with dialin line

Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de
Sat Apr 13 11:33:52 AEST 1991

curt at cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt Sampson) writes:

>I'm running SCO Xenix 2.3.2 on a 286.  I have an NS16550AN on com port
>2.
>
>Recently I tried to dial in to my dialin line and was unable to do
>so.  The modem would pick up the phone and connect, and often I would
>get the login prompt, but then the computer would immediately send a
>short string of garbage and hang up.  When I tried doing a 'cu -l
>tty2a dir' to check out the modem settings cu would say "Connect" and
>then immediately claim that carrier had been dropped and hang up.

I don't know whether this applies to Xenix, but according to my
getty man page (ISC UNIX) there is a `-h' switch. If you omit it,
getty will hang up the line just before it sets the baud rate.
This seems to be what is happening to you. Is it possible under
Xenix to start a getty with the `-h' switch on a tty line? I
think I remember that Xenix doesn't use an inittab file, therefore
I'm not sure where to put the `-h' switch.

Hope that helps.

     Uwe
Uwe Doering  |  INET : gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de
Germany      |  UUCP : ...!unido!fub!geminix.in-berlin.de!gemini