SCO 3.2 rel 2 and HP III printers...

Rich Pinder rpinder at phad.hsc.usc.edu
Wed Apr 10 09:10:05 AEST 1991

I'm trying to take advantage of some of the options possible on the HP
Laserjet III printer.  As an example, I'd like to send out a request to
choose (what HP calls) Univers style, size 14 points, and the Roman-8 symbol
set.  The internal font number corresponding to this in portrait mode is
I014.

In the dos world, I could jot off a C program to send actual escape
sequences, then print any file straight to the printer.  But it seems that
the lp command must do a reset to the printer.

Also, the lp man says to see the terminfo settings for a particualar
printer, but the beginning of  the terminfo.src file has the amusing
comment when discussing defining properly certain printers - it says
'someday'!

So,

Is there an appropriate terminfo entry somewhere for the HP III that will
allow the features to be accessed straight from lp, or is there another
approach you can think of??

If anyone has an example that works, I'd love to see it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

		Rich Pinder
		USC School of Medicine
		(213) 342-1640