Autoboot on Xenix

Tillmann A. Basien basien at pemcom.pem-stuttgart.de
Thu Apr 4 05:12:59 AEST 1991

ethan at thinc.COM (Ethan.Lish at THINC.COM) writes:

>		I have looked at autoboot(ADM), boot(HW), default(F)
>	and filesys(F), but I am unable to get the right combination of
>	variables.
Do you set the timeout in /etc/default/boot
Here is my file:

#	@(#) boot.dfl 1.7 89/01/31
#
#
#	      UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T
#		Portions Copyright 1976-1989 AT&T
#	Portions Copyright 1980-1989 Microsoft Corporation
#    Portions Copyright 1983-1989 The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc
#		      All Rights Reserved

#	@(#)init:boot.dfl	1.2
#
DEFBOOTSTR=hd(40)unix
AUTOBOOT=YES
FSCKFIX=YES
MULTIUSER=YES
PANICBOOT=NO
MAPKEY=YES
SERIAL8=YES
TIMEOUT=10

My system is coming up in 10 secondes.

>PS I would also like to know the options to mknod for createing /dev/scratch
I think you need /dev/scratch because your root file system is very big.
/dev/scratch is only some memory. It can be a floppy disk or a part of your
harddisk.
So, if you install a new system with a great harddisk, reserve about 1200
blocks in divvy and set the name of this part to scratch. Don't set the
flag to creat a filesystem, this part of the harddisk is like the swap
space.

If you alread has the the part on your hard disk, but no /dev/scratch
(because you deleted or so) the following command will set your entry
	mknod /dev/scratch b 1 40+offset
offset it the slot in the divvy table

Hope this helps
Tillmann

--
					             basien at PEM-Stuttgart.de
Dipl.-Ing. Tillmann A. Basien           PEM Programmentwicklungsgesellschaft