Trouble setting up ARP Server under Xenix for RARP

Luc Rooijakkers lwj at cs.kun.nl
Sat Feb 9 01:09:42 AEST 1991

In <108 at lionet.wesley.oz.au> ram at lionet.wesley.oz.au (Richard Muirden) writes:

>I've had a great deal of trouble trying to set up an ARP server under
>Xenix 2.3.2 (386) w/ SCO TCP/IP 1.0.1h.

>I've followed the directions in the manual, but RARP requests from local
>PC's on the network (the arp table for them is set up) are ignored and
>fail.

>Anyone who has successfully set up an ARP server could you please
>tell me how you did it?! :)

I have done it using 1.0.0 (can you say "old") on the same system. The
answer is: SCO TCP/IP can't do it. You have to install "rarpd" which they
don't deliver (at least not with 1.0.0). You can get it from the BSD sources
on uunet and elsewhere. Some mucking is (was?) required however, to get
it to work with the TCP/IP dev kit. If you can't get it to work, I might
be able to dig up the sources (no, they're not on this system nor in
this city).

Luc Rooijakkers                                 Internet: lwj at cs.kun.nl
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science     UUCP: uunet!cs.kun.nl!lwj
University of Nijmegen, the Netherlands         tel. +3180652271