xenix 386 (2.3.2) crashing... help please

Richard L. Goerwitz goer at ellis.uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 20 02:48:40 AEST 1991

In article <8793 at aimed.UUCP> nick at aimed.UUCP (Nick Pemberton) writes:
>Greetings.
>
>I have some trouble brewing. This machine, a 386 running SCO
>Xenix 2.3.2, has recently run into a deeply wierd problem...
>
>The problem: The system just stops. The Disc light comes on, but there is
>no movement on the disk drive. One can hit the ALT-Fn, to switch between
>virtual screens, one can type and see the typing echoed, but as soon as
>it tries to execute anything (even a login), the process hangs.

In general, it's much easier to diagnose such problems if a full hardware
list is included, along with your version of Xenix and any supplements
you've added.  In this case, the particular controller you're using is going
to have some impact on the answer.  For instance, if you've got a WD1007A
we'll ask whether you've installed sls133.  If not, that's probably your
fix.

-Richard