Missing files in tar tape backup

Donald H Madsen dhmadsen at icaen.uiowa.edu
Sun Mar 31 00:54:51 AEST 1991

My system uses Xenix 2.3.3 and I have had a subdirectory with a couple
of files and it included a subdirectory with several files that existed
for quite some time.  During that time several backups were made with
the command     tar -cAe /

I now discover that those files never were on any of the archives.
Perhaps others are missing, but this is the first time that I have
failed to find a requested file.  A   tar t > filename   has been
done and that dis\d not reports the files in those subdirectories.

What happened?

dhmadsen at icaen.uiowa.edu