using RLOGIN from DOS to Xenix?

Daniel Wynalda danielw at wyn386.mi.org
Wed Mar 27 23:31:53 AEST 1991

I am currently using SCO Xenix 2.3.3 and SCO Xenix 2.2.3 on two 80386 machines
running Excelan's LAN workplace version 3.7.  I also have DOS LAN Workplace
version 3.5 running on an MSDOS based 80386/20.  All three machines have
Excelan 205T cards in them.  I have Xenix-Net for both Xenix machines as well
but not for the DOS machine.

I am having trouble with terminal emulation over telnet.  My arrow keys
(Vt100 emulation) send ESC [ A to ESC [ D when pressed -- to the host.  These
characters are interpreted SOMETIMES as separate characters (what I would
guess/gather is a function of curses).  This is not such a problem when
in 'vi' as "ESC" just takes me out of insert mode and [A-[D are pretty
meaningless.  However, when in Informix or other programs, ESC is the "SAVE
SCREEN" key and the A-D can be Add, Change, or Delete on ring menus.  This
is not good.

I have found that, although telnet fails, that rlogin for Xenix->Xenix
terminal emulation appears to work OK.  Could someone please explain
the difference between rlogin and telnet to me?  I assume they use different
servers?   Also, if you know of a source to get an rlogin that will talk over
the LAN WORKPLACE for DOS, I'd be forever grateful.

Any help from anyone on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

			Daniel Wynalda

--
Daniel Wynalda       | (616) 866-1561 X22 Ham:N8KUD Net:danielw at wyn386.mi.org
Wynalda Litho Inc.   | 8221 Graphic Industrial Pk. | Rockford, MI  49341