SCO-LIST Mailing List and Duplicate Messages

Steven M. List itkin at mrspoc.Transact.COM
Tue Mar 26 08:09:19 AEST 1991

I'm not normally moved to complain quite so publicly about a service
someone is providing for free.  But the SCO-LIST mailing list has gone
from being something useful or potentially useful to a real PAIN!  The
blame is being placed on UUNET, where the list is maintained.  Every
member of the list has been receiving DOZENS of copies of each message
during the past week.  One or two duplicates now and then is acceptable,
but this is RIDICULOUS.

Even worse is that it's now a meta-problem - the messages that are being
duplicated are the complaints about duplicate messages!  I CAN'T TAKE IT
ANY MORE!!!!  So I'm saying something publicly.  I maintain mailing lists
myself, and have never subjected my members to anything like this.

Either UUNET or the list administrator MUST take some responsibility for
this.  While I'm not paying for it directly, it is costing me in phone
calls and time.  Those who are PAYING UUNET should be up in arms!  They're
paying for NOISE!

I feel much better now.