Korn Shell is NOT public domain! <was: Korn shell on sco>

Lars Magnusson s1039 at heron.qz.se
Tue Mar 19 07:56:38 AEST 1991

In article <268 at raysnec.UUCP> you write:

>	Perhaps this little mantra should go in the FAQ. Yes, KSH is a
>nice shell. Yes, more vendors have chosen to offer it. No, you can't have the
>source code - not legally, anyway - unless you license it. Same goes for
>binaries.
>
>-----------
>uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake at rsxtech

Worked in Denmark some years ago, where I succeded to get our salesrep.
from an ex-AT&T-partner (OLI, who else) to deliver ksh binary to our
3B2's, and as I understood, didn't AT&T care, if they gave away it
as long it weren't in source. And if so, with a price of 3000 from the
AT&T Toolchest (what ever that is), the vendors definily could give us
the true ksh in the bargin. Start pesting the vendors with demands that
ksh is include instead of bsh, as it should. SCO and SUN are some of
those that could do better (or could have done earlier). In Europe
the situation normaly is worse, since we gets the updates approx.
1 year after US in many cases.

 Lars Magnusson                      ! EUNET : lmag at z.amu.se
 Dept. of Computing 		     ! KOM   : s1039 (s1039 at heron.QZ.SE)
 AMU Jamtland 			     ! Tel   : + 46  63 14 56 00
 Box 603  			     ! Fax   : + 46  63 12 33 42
 832 01 Froson   (Ostersund)	     !
 Sweden				     !
             (Ostersund - candidate for Winter Olympics 1998)