Korn Shell is NOT public domain! <was: Korn shell on sco>

Wu Liu wul at sco.COM
Mon Mar 25 15:26:57 AEST 1991

/--s1039 at heron.qz.se (Lars Magnusson) said...
| In article <268 at raysnec.UUCP> you write:
| >	Perhaps this little mantra should go in the FAQ. Yes, KSH is a
| >nice shell. Yes, more vendors have chosen to offer it. No, you can't have the
| >source code - not legally, anyway - unless you license it. Same goes for
| >binaries.
|
| Worked in Denmark some years ago, where I succeded to get our salesrep.
| from an ex-AT&T-partner (OLI, who else) to deliver ksh binary to our
| 3B2's, and as I understood, didn't AT&T care, if they gave away it
| as long it weren't in source. And if so, with a price of 3000 from the
| AT&T Toolchest (what ever that is), the vendors definily could give us
| the true ksh in the bargin. Start pesting the vendors with demands that
| ksh is include instead of bsh, as it should. SCO and SUN are some of
| those that could do better (or could have done earlier). In Europe
| the situation normaly is worse, since we gets the updates approx.
| 1 year after US in many cases.
\--

>From what I understand of AT&T Toolchest policy, you can obtain the
source code and a site license for KSH for some amount of money (I
guess $3000).  Note that this is only a site license; you're not
supposed to sell or hand out copies of the binaries you produce.
The cost for a binary distribution license is more (I seem to recall
$10,000, although it's probably higher).  It's certainly not free.

I use ksh, and I like it a lot.  I do wish SCO had provided KSH
prior to Unix 3.2v2 and the upcoming Xenix 2.3.4, but I guess it's
better late than never...