Configuring COM3 - xenix ignores me

Karl-P. Huestegge karl at robot.in-berlin.de
Sat Mar 16 16:49:59 AEST 1991

spiesman at amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (SPIESMAN, BILL) writes:

>I am having a problem configuring my compuer SCO xenix to use a third serial
>port. I have tried a few recipes that I have found on the net, but I haven't had
>much success yet.

>    com3        3e8             5
>I then followed the net recipes, adding this line to sioconf.c:
>{2,IBM_BOARD, 1,5,4, (sd)0x3e8,0,0,MCRBITS3},

.. sounds good.

>and modifying the master file to include IRQ5 as a serial interrupt
>by putting a 5 in the vec3 column of sio and incrementing vsiz to 3.
>(I also set vsiz to 1 and removed IRQ5 from the pa line).

That, too.

>Now the recipe says that I'm done...

.. Wait: Did you mknod the /dev/tty3a and /dev/tty3A ( minors 4 and 132
according to your entry in sioconf.c) ?

> but when I rebuild the kernel and..

Hmm... did you build it with 'make xenix' ? Remember that you must get
a new /usr/sys/io/sioconf.o (check the date) and that this sioconf.o
must get linked into the kernel (Reassure yourself by watching or
logging the building of the kernel). Copy or hdinstall the new kernel
to the root directory.

It's not sufficient to simply link the kernel with 'link_xenix'..

I didn't have any troubles with the procedure you describe..

>..reboot, there are no new serial lines listed. In an attempt to see
>if I was changing anything, I tried to break the serial ports by
>changing the entries in sioconf.c (changing the interrupt and/or
>memory addresses). This HAD NO EFFECT!

Well, the interrupts can't be tested on boot. They only get active
when chars arrive at your port. But the Adresses you define in
sioconf.c are tested to see if a port is at that adress..

>I realized that when xenix
>boots that it might be reading the actual hardware configuration
>from the BIOS and over-riding the entries in sioconf.c.

No no. The BIOS doesn't define any serial port adresses and isn't
even used by the xenix kernel. And the kernel doesn't write
any source-code. ;-)  (nice idea !)

sioconf.c gets only changed by you. (Check the date & time!)

> Xenix seems to be ignoring the changes I make
>to sioconf.c.

He isn't allowed to ;-)

Well, notice date&time of sioconf.c, cd to /usr/sys/conf and 'make xenix'.
Now check that /usr/sys/io/sioconf.o and /usr/sys/conf/xenix are up to date.
Finally copy /usr/sys/conf/xenix to /xenix and reboot.

Karl-Peter Huestegge                            karl at robot.in-berlin.de
Berlin Friedenau                                Bus: 2,25,48,81,85
U-Net: Bhf.F.Wilh.Pl.                           ..unido!fub!geminix!robot!karl