Configuring COM3 - xenix ignores me

Terry J. Klarich terry at unx2.ucc.okstate.edu
Wed Mar 20 08:38:31 AEST 1991

In article <4628 at dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> spiesman at amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
>I am having a problem configuring my compuer SCO xenix to use a third serial
>port. I have tried a few recipes that I have found on the net, but I haven't had
>much success yet. What I have is a basic IBM style I/O card which has
>2 com ports and a printer port. I also have a modem which is configured
>for com1. I use one serial port on the I/O card which is configured as
>com2. I still have one serial port left (which is now configured as com3)
>which I want to use.

I had 4 com ports working when I was using xenix 2.3.2.  When I installed the
xnx155b upgrade which brought xenix up to 2.3.3, they quit.  I am assuming
this is what happened to you.  First of all, make sure you comment out one
unused port discripter in your sioconf.c file.  I think there is a fixed
number of available configurations.  I could be wrong though.  Anyway, it
won't hurt anything.  Next, in your link_xenix script, you will see a line
which calls ld.  put a reference to your sioconf.o (../io/sioconf.o" file
before the reference to vpixio.a library.  this should get you going.  This
bit me as well.  Bela Lupkin from sco pointed this out to me.  (thanks sco)

Terry