Piping TAR

William E Davidsen davidsen at rdsunx.crd.ge.com
Tue May 7 06:04:49 AEST 1991

In article <361 at nic.cerf.net>, rembis at nic.cerf.net (Michael Rembis) writes:
|> Hi. I need some help on a PC based XENIX system running version 2.3.
|> I am trying to relocate a tar file that is on the hard disk out to
|> a set of floppies.  I have tried things like   tar xf FILE | (tar cv2 -)
|> and other combinations of that command with no luck. Does anyone know
|> the right sequence to initiate this ?

I think what you want is to grab a copy of 'bundle' off an archive o0f
comp.sources.misc. This is a program which takes a stream input (or
output) from (to) a pipe and breaks it into multiple volumes. It also
writes one cylinder at a time, so performance is enhanced.

If you do much of this don't forget to format the floppies with "-i 2"
to get the 3:1 performance boost!

PS: I will mail this to a few people if you want, more than that and
I'll send the new version to the group. I just got the shared memory
option working under V.4, and found some minor bugs.