Dell tape drive with Xenix?

Alan Mintz alan at ahmcs.uucp
Tue May 7 11:16:30 AEST 1991

In article <3402 at crdos1.crd.ge.COM>, davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:

>   Has anyone been able to use the Dell 150MB tape drive (Wangtek) with
> Xenix, and if so what's the secret? I configured the type as W, i/o
> ports, interrupt and DMA, but the device is still not found. Is this OEM
> drive hacked to the point where it won't work with standard drivers, or
> is there some subtle trick needed to get it working?

Hmmm. We do it all the time in Dell as well as other machines. "mkdev tape"
should look like:

	Tape Parameters		Values	Comments
	---------------         ------	--------
	1. Controller Type	3	1 = type A, 3 = type W, 4 = type E,
					5 = type M, 6 = type T or 7 = type X
	2. DMA Channel		1	1 or 3
	3. Interrupt Vector	5	logical vector number
	4. Base Address		0338H	i/o addresses start here

	Zero Values Imply Auto-Configuration

Maybe there is something special about the 0x338 address. I recall some
difficulty trying to use 0x300.

Oh. Now that I think about it, if the pins on the bus card point up
(as opposed to out), you have the "Wangtek/Tecmar Single-Chip Tape Controller"
and will need to either XNX155B or XNX149 your XENIX.
--
< Alan H. Mintz  | alan at mq.com | ...!uunet!ahmcs!alan >