SCO ODT TCP/IP Setup Problem

Wu Liu wul at sco.COM
Thu May 30 09:09:45 AEST 1991

/--mpd at anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) said...
| I've tried posting this question to the Opendesktop group, but didn't get a
| reply, so I'll try something more generic.
|
| My /etc/hosts file looks as follows:
|
| 127.0.0.1	localhost
| 192.76.250.1	anomaly anomaly.sbs.com sbs.com
| 128.120.253.1	idsvax idsvax.ids.com
|
| Now, when I start a SL/IP connection between anomaly and idsvax, people on
| anomaly can telnet fine to idsvax. However, anyone attempting to rlogin/telnet/
| ftp to anomaly get an error message. Furthermore, anyone on anomaly who tries
| to "rlogin localhost" or "rlogin anomaly" get the password prompt, but are
| then given the same error message.
|
| The error is "Bad login user id".
|
| I've RTFM, but can't locate a reference to getting rid of this error. Of course,
| I might have missed it at 3am.
\--

I'm not sure if it's mentioned in the doc...

Your problem is that TCP on anomaly wasn't started by init.  Your
inetd process can't have an luid set, or else telnet/rlogin breaks
with this error message.  The only way to get a process to not have
an luid is if you start it during boot (i.e. have init fork it off).