Xenix-Digiboard Problems

Chip Rosenthal chip at chinacat.unicom.com
Mon May 27 11:36:59 AEST 1991

In article <1991May26.201728.26322 at ncep1.uucp>
	tomj at pnet16.cts.com (Tom Jenkins) writes:
>The problem is that our Xenix system hangs
>every two-three weeks for no apparent reason.

I'm not sure why you are blaming the Digiboard.  The PC/8e is a
fine card - the one I recommend for 8-port UNIX and XENIX systems.

I'd suggest that you are running out of clists.  If you've got eight
ports activly banging away - ain't no way the distributed configuration
is going to work without hanging.  Increase NCLIST and rebuild your
kernel.  (I won't repeat the procedure - I summarized it earlier today
in another article.)

TFM (section 8.7.2) in the administrator's guide suggests 5 to 10
clists is the average required per terminal.  (Don't count just serial
lines - you've got a bunch of multiscreen's too, right?)  The max is
16.  So, if you've got 8 serial lines and 4 multi screens active, that
means you need 60 to 120 clists average, 192 maximum.  SCO distributes
XENIX with NCLIST set to 100.  I'd recommend 200 for your configuration.

Systems do wierd things when you run out of clists - kinda like
what you are describing.

P.S.  It sure would be nice to have a `crash' program for XENIX to
debug these sorts of things.

--
Chip Rosenthal     <chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM>  |  Don't play so
Unicom Systems Development      512-482-8260   |    loud, Mr. Collins.