is xenix unix....

philip at axis.UUCP philip at axis.UUCP
Thu Feb 19 03:03:08 AEST 1987

In article <3108 at gitpyr.gatech.EDU>, eeproks at gitpyr.UUCP writes:
> I use (and love) unix on quite a few different machines.  The SV machines
> are primarily 3B1's, 3B2's and 3B20's.  I would like the machine that I use at
> home to provide the same environment that I am use to at work.  Of course,
> this all has to be done on a budget.  IBM machines and clones are cheap, BUT..
>
> 1)  Is SCO and IBM Xenix the same as AT&T Unix System V.2.

It is not the same. However, it does support all of the S5.2 system calls,
and most of the utilities are there. The administration is somewhat different,
but you can generally ignore the pretty interfaces if you know what you are
doing.

The real problem is the architecture of the PC/AT - you just have to remember
that whatever anyone tries to say it is a toy machine. UNIX does not fit in
well with its segmented architecture. But I think that this must apply to any
attempt to put UNIX onto the 286, and should not be taken as a critisisim of
XENIX. The multi-model compiler generally works, but again it will seem like
a toy compared against a 'real' C compiler on a 'real' machine.

Having said all that, when you persuade yourself to live with the limitations,
XENIX V is not so bad ... I could live with one at home. But for "serious"
work I will always prefer my VAX with S5.2 and virtual memory ....

> 2)  How close is PC/IX to System III.

Never used it, so I will leave that to someone who has.

> The point is that I want Unix, not something that looks a whole lot like
> Unix, on my home machine.

It is not a 'look alike' in the usual sense, but remember that it started
life as V7 and has been kept up-to-date since. I believe that the next
issue of SCO XENIX is a re-port based upon S5.2 sources, so may be you
should wait for that (it is supposed to be available at the end of this month).

Philip