is xenix unix....

ron at brl-sem.UUCP ron at brl-sem.UUCP
Wed Feb 18 10:25:52 AEST 1987

#1.  Most current XENIX's are probably system V enough to compile
     most system V programs, but at last check neither worked real
     well.  It is not however VR2, but does have most of the SVID
     library calls.

#2.  PC/IX, though System III-ish is riddled with silly ISCisms.  Anyway
     although I can live with VR2, I can't deal with III.

Much of the problem is that the thing still has to run on an 80x86 where
x is less than 3.  This environment is hell on any system.

Anyhow, BELL TECHNOLOGIES, a company that sells PC disk drives and PC/AT
clones, sells real system V for the PC/AT.  At one time they'd give away
free system V with a disk drive purchase.  Their number is 1-800-FOR-UNIX
(catchy, eh?).

-Ron