is xenix unix....

grs at houxa.UUCP grs at houxa.UUCP
Wed Feb 18 22:45:32 AEST 1987

In article <3108 at gitpyr.gatech.EDU>, eeproks at gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Ken Seefried iii) writes:

> I use (and love) unix on quite a few different machines.  The SV machines
> are primarily 3B1's, 3B2's and 3B20's.  I would like the machine that I
> use at home to provide the same environment that I am use to at work.  Of
> course,  this all has to be done on a budget.  IBM machines and clones are
> cheap, BUT...
>
> 1)  Is SCO and IBM Xenix the same as AT&T Unix System V.2.

Sorry to post this but my mail couldn't reach you.  Sys V Xenix was not ported
from SysV, it was derived from the older version of Xenix.  There are may
differences between Xenix SysV and the SysV you find on ATT machines.  I use
Multiport SysV on a PC clone and find it to be almost identical to the SysV
I use at work on 3B20s, Vaxes and 3B2s.

It's drawbacks are mostly its lack of DOS support. (It should improve soon
with a Simula like product soon to be released.)

Another big advantage is that it cost a fraction of what Xenix does!

	Glenn Sills
	BTL - Merrmack Valley
	(617) 681-6437
	!houxa!grs