is xenix unix....

root at sdd.UUCP root at sdd.UUCP
Tue Feb 24 16:20:06 AEST 1987

In article <3108 at gitpyr.gatech.EDU> eeproks at gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Ken Seefried iii) writes:

>I use (and love) unix on quite a few different machines.  The SV machines
>are primarily 3B1's, 3B2's and 3B20's.  I would like the machine that I use at
>home to provide the same environment that I am use to at work.  Of course,
>this all has to be done on a budget.  IBM machines and clones are cheap, BUT...

>1)  Is SCO and IBM Xenix the same as AT&T Unix System V.2.

	No.  It is version 7 unix, modified and extended with most of the features
	of System 5 Release 2.  There are just a few features missing, though some
	may be relatively important (sdb).

>2)  How close is PC/IX to System III.

	Probably reasonably close.

>The point is that I want Unix, not something that looks a whole lot like
>Unix, on my home machine.  Before you flame me for whatever reason, please
>realize that I have never used Xenix before and I am not fully enlightened
>in the mysteries of the IBM PC ( I much prefer my 3Bn's, Sun's and Masscomp's).

	I suggest that you utilize a IBM or clone utilizing either a 80286, or 80386
processor.  These contain memory management, and are considerably more powerfull
than that on the PC.  For these machines you may also get real AT&T Unix ported
by a company called Microport including sdb and everything else that is a part
of "standard SV.2".

	Of interest is a new announcement by AT&T that I read in MicroMarketWOrld
that says that AT&T & Microsoft will develop Unix System V for Intel's 386.
This version of Unix System V will allow Xenix system V applications and
Unix System V applications to run on the same operating system, and it also
means that there will be NO XENIX-386!!!!

				Daniel Corbett
				V. President of Engineering
				Software Design & Development Corp.
				Camarillo, CA