Altox Xenix 3.2f C-compiler problems

jlt at lll-crg.UUCP jlt at lll-crg.UUCP
Sun Mar 8 03:54:59 AEST 1987

In article <121 at asci.UUCP> ray at asci.UUCP (Ray Tripamer) writes:

>	                                          I was wondering
>	if anyone has notices that the C compiler for Xenix 3.2f
>	doesn't work all the time.
>
>	What happens is that the compiler will make it to one of
>	the passes (i've seen it happen on /lib/p2 and /lib/p3),
>	when it seems to get stuck in an infinite loop.  It has
>	happened more than once, and it doesn't matter which
>	memory model I use.
>
>	It prevented me from compiling news, ctex, and rogue. I
>	have not been able to track down the cause.  Any help
>	would be appreciated.
>--
>Ray Tripamer
>E-MAIL: ray at jimi.uucp  (until we get into mod.maps)

I'm running 3.3a Xenix, and have noticed the same problem.  My compiler
always seems to get stuck in /lib/p1.  The only fix I've found is to
to simplify the file in question.  E.G. in rogue, I broke apart save.c
into save.c and restore.c.  Then it compiled, and even runs!

I had a different problem when compiling MicroEMACS 3.8b.  In a couple of
files I got an error message something like "XXX.c (678) Compiler internal
error: infinite spill in grammar.c"  (the name of the file and the line number
have been changed to protect the guilty).
The solution was to simplify the statement at line number 677.  This only arose
when compiling with -Ml.

John L. Thomas
jlt at crg		or 	...seismo!lll-lcc!iei-ca!jlt