Altox Xenix 3.2f C-compiler problems

brian brian at asci.UUCP
Wed Mar 11 05:26:23 AEST 1987

Expires:

In article <1646 at trwrb.UUCP> ries at trwrb.UUCP (Marc Ries) writes:
>In article <121 at asci.UUCP> ray at asci.UUCP (Ray Tripamer) writes:
>[...]
>> if anyone has notices that the C compiler for Xenix 3.2f
>> doesn't work all the time.
>[...]
>> when it seems to get stuck in an infinite loop.  It has
>> happened more than once, and it doesn't matter which
>> memory model I use.
>[...]
>> have not been able to track down the cause.  Any help
>> would be appreciated.
>>Ray Tripamer
>
> BTW: You didn't mention what hardware version of Altos  you  are
>      running (ie, 8086, 80286, 68020, etc.).
>
> FYI: I  have no solution [don't buy an Altos 8-(],  but  I  have
>      only  seen  this  happen once on my Altos 586 running XENIX
>      3.0b when trying to compile  ICON.

They Altos CPUs we work on are 80186, and 80286 based.  On the 186, the code
compiles fine under 3.1 Development system.  The 3.2F is Development and
runtime on 886 and 686.  It is 3.2F development on 2086 with 3.3 Runtime.

Altos knows about these and other problems and has recently signed off version
3.4 runtime for 1086 and higher.  3.3 runtime for 686 and 886.  3.4
development for all 286 based units.  3.3 development does not correct
problems mentioned.  Contact your Dealer or Distributor for availablity and
shipping dates.

Altos is continuing to support but appears to have phased out all production
on 8086 and 80186 based products.  Watch for news on their 386 based box.
Should be dynamite.  I know some Altos gurus should be reading this and would
appreciate more direct input for from said people on these and other
problems, and any corrections to the above

Brian Douglass
Applied Systems Consultants, Inc. (ASCI)