2.11 News on XENIX V

caf at omen.UUCP caf at omen.UUCP
Sat Mar 14 13:44:45 AEST 1987

We have 2.11 news running here, using large model.  Rn uses middle model.
There are two main complaints:
  1. Articles cross posted to N groups show up N times.
  2.  Followups or replies to articles in moderated groups don't work.

I think (1) has something to do with Xref: lines or some such.  But then
it may just be the absence of Xref processing that allows rn to work
on this brain damaged CPU without running out of memory.

I don't plan on hacking on news until C news comes out, or I get 386 Xenix,
or the forthcoming revision of the Xenix C Dev system shows up.

I would also like to see news reader software that organizes articles by
subject without the (perceived) bugosity of notesfiles.  I'm spending just
too much time wading thru the noise subjects in search of information,
and the kill file approach seems to take longer than glancing at the subjects
manually.