compress program on SCO Xenix

Bennett Broder ben at catnip.UUCP
Tue Mar 10 09:17:16 AEST 1987

In article <198 at gsg.UUCP> lew at gsg.UUCP (Paul Lew) writes:
>Question:	Anyone installed compress on SCO Xenix yet?

Yes

>Problem:	Compress is not doing anything, it runs but terminated
>		with the file unchanged.  There are some #ifdef M_XENIX
>		in the code but it may not be tested.

>Environment:	IBM-PC/AT runs SCO Xenix version 2.1.3
>		compress version 4.0 85/07/30 12:50:00 joe Release
>
>Build History:	$ cc -s -o compress compress.c
>		/bin/ld: Common area longer than 65535 bytes
>
>		$ cc -Ml -s -o compress compress.c    #use large model
>		$ ln compress uncompress
>		$ ln compress zcat
>		There was no error in any of the above 3 steps.

If you want the distributed version of compress to compile without error

     $ cc -Dpcxt -ocompress compress.c

This will give you a working version of compress, unfortunately it will
only have the capability of handling 12-bit compression.

I have a version of compress that I hacked to work with 16-bit compression.
If there is sufficient interest, I can post this.

--

Ben Broder
{ihnp4,decvax} !hjuxa!catnip!ben