core dumps

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.UUCP
Tue Apr 26 12:39:23 AEST 1988

In article <188 at ists> mike at ists (Mike Clarkson) writes:
>In article <4782 at ozdaltx.UUCP>, root at ozdaltx.UUCP (Scotty) writes:
>> Is anyone else running news on SCO XENIX running into
>> 'Memory Fault - Core dump' on certain article headers where
>> the Newsgroup line is extreamly long? (Ie. > 128 chars?).
>
>Yes, this is happening to me too.  I can't seem to find where this is
>happening.  The field in hbuf for the newsgroups line is usually set to
>LBUFLEN which is 1024,
>--
>Mike Clarkson						mike at ists.UUCP

FLAME ON!

have we all forgotten how to debug a program???

first, start by determining WHERE this is happening.  to do that you
need to compile with -g turned on.

then, determine which exact article caused the core dump by looking at
the header which was being processed when you caught the core dump.

next, figure out what about the article caused the dump.  THEN FIX IT.

FLAME OFF!

i suspect this is not the actual problem.  has anyone seen if any
pdp-11's are having this problem?  make the damned fields larger, if
the trouble goes away, consider it fixed.  what about path length?

just for my $0.02 worth - the '386 isn't having this problem.  i may
recompile -M2s if noone finds the bug soon ...

- john.
--
John F. Haugh II                 | "You see, I want a lot.  Perhaps I want every
River Parishes Programming       | -thing.  The darkness that comes with every