'Tmp file too large' in vi

Jayen Vaghani jayen at mulga.oz
Mon Apr 18 09:38:52 AEST 1988

Well, thanks to all those people who suggested various explanations and/or
solutions. If I weren't so sleepy on a Monday morning I would probably list
you all. Among the suggestions that didn't work or weren't tried were:

	- not enough space on /		(there was 5 Mb free)
	- run fixhdr to reduce stack size	(wasn't tried, yet)
	- it's a feature (??)

Finally Dr. T. Andrews at CompuData suggested adding the line 'ULIMIT=10240' to
/etc/default/login. I was doubtful (since ULIMIT is 4096 by default) but tried
it anyway. Well, vi still says 'Tmp file too large' but now continues to run
quite happily despite giving that message. Well, if you can explain it ....

Thanks for all the help , Jayen