'Tmp file too large' in vi

Jayen Vaghani jayen at mulga.oz
Mon Apr 11 15:59:30 AEST 1988

We're running SCO Xenix V/286 2.1.3 on an IBM AT compatible at my father's
business and for some reason 'vi' comes up with a 'Tmp File too large' error
when trying to edit data files of about 200K. The manual entry says it should be
able to handle 250K lines in a file (there are about 9000 in this file) so I
don't see the problem. The system has 1Mb of memory at the moment, and there
were no other users on the system at the time.

Anybody know if this is a feature or bug?? Can it be fixed or has vi been
built this way for the AT?

Thanks, Jayen