uname(2) on Altos 2000?

Jack F. Vogel jack at turnkey.TCC.COM
Fri Apr 15 04:06:29 AEST 1988

In article <267 at amanue.UUCP> jr at amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
>I'm in the process of getting things all ship-shape on an Altos 2000.  I had
>to put a rather disgusting hack into Elm to get it to know my site name, since
>uname(2) reports "" for the nodename.
>... does anybody know how to set the node name on an Altos 2000
>so that uname(2) knows it?

Although Altos's Xenix is typically NOT SysV compatable, if it conforms with
SCO's release there should be a way in the link kit to enter the nodename
and then relink the kernal. Check to see what you have in the /usr/sys/conf
directory (if Altos even has this), there should be an executable there called
configure. This program or some equivalent should let you tune the parameters
of the kernal. If you do not have this you will need to use adb, check your
documentation, in the 2.1.3 release there was documentation on how to enter
the nodename into the kernal using adb.

>Where does the uname(2) information reside?  It doesn't seem to be in the
>kernel.  Somone once told me he thought it was in the superblock.  Is this
>correct?

No this is not correct, the uname data resides in the kernal in a structure
called utsname. Sorry I could not be more definitive on how to do this but
my experience with Altos has been that more often than not they do things
differently. Best advise is to check your manuals.

					Best of luck,

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA