uname(2) on Altos 2000?

Jim Rosenberg jr at amanue.UUCP
Sat Apr 9 17:56:44 AEST 1988

I'm in the process of getting things all ship-shape on an Altos 2000.  I had
to put a rather disgusting hack into Elm to get it to know my site name, since
uname(2) reports "" for the nodename.  This is probably available by RTFMing
*some*where, but does anybody know how to set the node name on an Altos 2000
so that uname(2) knows it?  I've set /etc/systemid -- if I remember that file
name correctly -- which keeps uucp happy enough.  I wouldn't be surprised if
none of the Altos utilities even *use* uname(2).

This is a Xenix System V -- exactly which version I don't have in front of me,
and the machine isn't up for login yet.

Where does the uname(2) information reside?  It doesn't seem to be in the
kernel.  Somone once told me he thought it was in the superblock.  Is this
correct?  If so, can one fsdb the uname(2) nodename into place?  I have
patched superblocks on occasion, but I sure don't enjoy it.

Any help appreciated.
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \