Everex Tapes vs Xenix

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Wed Apr 13 07:03:18 AEST 1988

In article <831 at spdcc.COM> dyer at spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:

| If you had asked before hand, you'd have found out that SCO XENIX
| supports Wangtek and Archive tape units out-of-the-box, and if you
| had bought one of those, you wouldn't be posting now.
| --
| Steve Dyer
| dyer at harvard.harvard.edu
| dyer at spdcc.COM aka {ihnp4,harvard,husc6,linus,ima,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

  I have heard this claim before, and I would love to have a tape on my
system. Unfortunately no one will tell me the make, model, or part
number on the controller! I have called three Archive dealers, all
disclaimed knowing what kind of controller was needed, but "it works
real well with Xenix."

  I called SCO tech support, and they wanted a customer number. I'm
trying to order this thing, I don't HAVE a customer number. I called SCO
marketing and they couldn't seem to give me any useful information.

  I have one 386 now, and AT which will be upgraded to 386, and a new
machine to order. Each has two hard disks of 80MB or more. I am really
sick of floppy disks!!! Could someone tell me what type of controller to
order?

  I wasn't going to post this question, but it seems as if others
are having tape trouble, too.

On the brighter side

  I have tried Xenix/386 with a Ws1006 (1:1 track buffered) disk
controller and it works fine. Unfortunately as the load on the disk
increases it works less fine until it's only 30% better than a standard
controller. Works great on DOS, though.

  I hope to try an RLL 1:1 controller next, and would like any info.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)