Everex Tapes vs Xenix

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.UUCP
Wed Apr 13 05:10:53 AEST 1988

In article <831 at spdcc.COM> dyer at spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>In article <333 at hudson.acc.virginia.edu>, wrp at biochsn.acc.virginia.edu (William R. Pearson) writes:
>> I would like to continue my saga of the installation of an Everex 60 Mbyte
>> streaming tape drive under Xenix.
>
>If you had asked before hand, you'd have found out that SCO XENIX
>supports Wangtek and Archive tape units out-of-the-box, and if you
>had bought one of those, you wouldn't be posting now.

Or the Irwin 145 (40M on a DC2000, but it requires formatting).

The Archive and Wangtek have the advantage of a 'tape' utility; we have a
similar utility for Irwin 145 users and Xenix (it comes with the Irwin 145s
we sell)...  the only disadvantage I have seen with the Irwin is that you
cannot make multiple "save sets" on the tape (ie: the tape is one big
stream; you can only access it sequentially).  We have a 145 here for backup
and it works fine.

The 145 is slower than the Archive or Wangtek in some circumstances, although
most of the time the *disk* is slower than the tape... thus erasing any
possible advantage for the "QIC" drives.  The Irwin is less expensive, but
it eats a floppy slot (our Televideo actually thinks there's a floppy there!)

All three work out of the box... plug it in and run 'mkdev tape'; tell
the config program what you have, reboot and you're done.

----
Karl Denninger                 |  Data: +1 312 566-8912
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc. | Voice: +1 312 566-8910
...ihnp4!ddsw1!karl            | "Quality solutions for work or play"