IBM Extended Characters

Owen DeLong owen at well.UUCP
Thu Apr 21 16:12:53 AEST 1988

>> >Well on my machine running SCO XENIX/386 2.2.1 echo "\0376"
>> >yields \0376 and not a little square.

Is it possible you are using the C shell, and thus, using the csh built-in
echo command. (A problem I had to figure out by trial, error, and pouring
through csh(C) in the manual.  If this is the case, your solution may
be to either alias echo to /bin/echo or directly call /bin/echo instead
of echo.  Either of these two possibilities is discussed in the SCO
manual (see echo(C) and csh(C)).

Note:  in csh, echo responds from a built-in command, and is not subject to the
same performance specifications as /bin/echo which is documented in echo(C)

Owen DeLong
...pacbell!forbrk!brcbkly!owen
...ihnp4!dual!brcbkly!owen