RAM disk (WARNING: commercial content!)

Alan Bunch alan at coplex.UUCP
Tue Apr 12 02:00:19 AEST 1988

In article <1962 at ubc-cs.UUCP> pajari at grads.cs.ubc.ca (George Pajari) writes:
>In article <1010 at daisy.UUCP>, david at daisy.UUCP (David Schachter) writes:
>>> With the recent discussion of problems running 9600 bps without losing char-
>>> ... someone bemoaned the inability to define in-memory filesystems.  Is
>>> there really no Unix driver to define in-memory simulated disk?
>
>Driver Design Labs sells RAM-DISK drivers for SCO XENIX, IBM XENIX, (soon
>Microport) and will port the driver to almost any machine given a good
                ^^^^ ^^^^                                  ^^^^^ ^ ^^^^
>excuse (i.e. an order).
^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^             [ the rest doesnt apply here ]

>George Pajari
>(when not at UBC trying to finish an M.Sc. degree, programmer for
>Driver Design Labs, (604) 926-UNIX)

Hello there Driver Design !  If a good excuse to port or create drivers is an
order then I think what I would like to order is one working serial driver and
one working HD driver for ST506 and -*RLL*- drives.  Please code this for
Micro Port and any time in the next 4-6 weeks would be optimum (?) but  I
would be willing to wait 3-4 months ( this should beat out MicroPort by a
programmers lifetime) for something that works.

[ minor MircoPort flame over ]
[ start personal option ]

I for one think that any hot shot programer or unix company that wants to
develope and market these after market drivers to the MicroPort user base
has a real winnner and money maker.  I would pay for a working driver, how
much I am not sure but I am sure that it would be in the 50-100 range.
I am unsure if that price would support the development of this idea.  If
it would them there is at least a small chunck of change to be made.
If I had the expertese to write drivers I would have already done so.

Please no flames if I have missed something as I am unsure if all of the
resources are available for the venture.  Just post constructive things
that I missed and mabe some smart cookie will put right up it and all
us MircoPort people can get that long awaited vacation in the land or
working device drivers.

If (something constructive to add? == 0 ) {
	Press <F> | <f> now....
else
	cat flames > /dev/null
}