Elm and XENIX

Mike Clarkson mike at ists
Thu Apr 14 16:28:40 AEST 1988

In article <13 at stanton.TCC.COM>, donegan at stanton.TCC.COM (Steven P. Donegan) writes:

> I have elm 1.7 working quite well on my SCO 2.2.1 (286) system. The only
> problems I have noted so far are:
>
> 2) If a user is in elm in some functions and gets disconnected the session
>    remains running - SIGHUP appears to have been defused.

Yes I've seen this too.  Why is this happening?  If the line drops while
you are composing a message in the editor (in our case micro-emacs 3.9)
then the elm and the emacs are left running on the login line.  So the
next poor sucker to try logging in has 2 processes competing for the
same port: login and emacs under elm.  If you type anything in, login
may get it or emacs may get it, and if you type ^X^C real fast to login,
emacs will exit!  Not good for my dialup users.

How is this possible?  What on earth does Elm do to allow itself to
avoid SIGHUP ?

Puzzled and displeased...

--
Mike Clarkson						mike at ists.UUCP
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science