tty error

Derek E. Terveer det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Mon Apr 11 12:09:57 AEST 1988

In article <3 at stanton.TCC.COM>, donegan at stanton.TCC.COM (Steven P. Donegan) writes:
> In article <160 at turnkey.TCC.COM>, jack at turnkey.TCC.COM (TCC Software Developer) writes:
> In article <884 at udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> mabrey at vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Dennis W Mabrey) writes:
> >       init:/dev/ttyx05: getty keeps dying. There may be a problem
> [description of how to fix a bad getty]
> If you had a REAL computer (like a cray, doesn't everyone need one at home?)
> this WOULDN'T HAPPEN! :-)

I believe this phenomenah is called "bird dogging", i'm not sure why.  We once
had, through the vagaries of our terminal server, one of our login ports hooked
up to another login port.  First I found out about it was when users started
complaining about massive (more than usual (:-)) system degradation.  Our getty
was spawning and respawning fairly quickly.
--
Derek Terveer	det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG	uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!det