tty error

Jim Kimble jkimble at crash.cts.com
Mon Apr 11 04:48:59 AEST 1988

In article <3 at stanton.TCC.COM> donegan at stanton.TCC.COM (Steven P. Donegan) writes:

>My 'fix' to this gettydeath has been simply powering
>off the terminal, doing an /etc/haltsys, powering off the PC, waiting the
>required 30 seconds for the power supply to bleed off and then re-starting
>the terminal, PC, XENIX etc. This cycle always works for me. Seems that the
>8250 or 16450 chip gets lost in space somewhere and XENIX's getty doesn't
>know or try a full reset when it dies...sigh

I found it to be a lot quicker to just do the following:

	(Power the problem terminal back on, first of all)
	# disable ttyx05
	# enable ttyx05

The port is turned off and then turned back on, so a new getty is spawned.
Quicky and dirty, but it works....

--Jim Kimble

"I used to be into necrophillia, flagellation, and beastiality -- but my
friends said I was just beating a dead horse."

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!jkimble
ARPA: crash!jkimble at nosc
INET: jkimble at crash.CTS.COM