Site 'killer' update

Usenet control usenet at jclyde.UUCP
Sat Apr 2 01:23:42 AEST 1988

People of the net:

   As you are aware, we have been having some "problems" with site
'killer' in Dallas.  We are aware that the loss of this site has
caused anywhere from minor to major delays and inconveniences to many of you.
We appologize for this.  The following is a statement from Charlie Boykin,
Site Administrator of 'killer':

>From cfbplus!charlie Thu Mar 31 18:49:55 1988
To: sulaco!allen
Subject: killer

Allen,

     Just a note to update you on the status of killer. Things are still
pretty unsure about the system being placed back in service. I had hoped
to hear something today but nothing developed. I do not expect much to
develop for another week or so.
     It would take some time to bring the system back on line as it now
stands as apparently there is some hardware failure but from what can be
determined with only a cursory inspection, nothing major. It will take
quite a bit of work to get it all back in condition to perform properly
but a project I am more than willing and ready to undertake with pleasure.
     I do offer my apologies for the many problems the down-time has caused
the net and the many users of the system. From the many, many calls I have
received, it did cause a great number of problems from Maryland to Ca with
email and news and I do wish this could have been prevented.
     Hopefully, my next update will be from killer with it back in service.

                                               Charlie

email: {ihnp4,decvax,cfbplus,jclyde}!sulaco!cfbplus!root

Further, I feel that the readers of Usenet are deserving of an explanation
as to why the machine went down in the first place.  On Friday, March 18,
1988, officials from AT&T Corporate Security moved in and seized the
machine for reasons proprietary to AT&T.  Their object in doing this was
not to intentionally harm Usenet or cause inconvenience to anyone, but
to protect the interests of AT&T.  Unfortunately, neither Charlie nor I can
provide anyone with more information regarding this matter.  Any interested
party may contact Mr. James Van Orden at (214) 851-3600 for further
discussion.

Thank you again for your patience.  Hopefully 'killer' will be up again
soon and resume service to Usenet.

--Allen Gwinn
  {ihnp4,jclyde,decvax,rpp386}!sulaco!allen