GETTY replacement for SCO Xenix

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.UUCP
Mon Apr 25 03:08:33 AEST 1988

In article <31 at stanton.TCC.COM> donegan at stanton.TCC.COM (Steven P. Donegan) writes:
>In article <460 at remsit.UUCP>, rem at remsit.UUCP (Roger Murray) writes:
>> A friend of mine has a BBS and needs the system to be able to answer the phone
>> at various baud rates without the user having to send BREAKs.  He's been
>> running Microport (and using uutty) but is switching over to SCO and needs an
>> eqivalent program.
>
>If you set the SCO XENIX /etc/ttys file to gettydef #3 and modify the autobaud
>sequence to 2400/1200/300, a simple framing error will cause the cycle to
>autobaud properly. My bbs uses this method and all a remote (non 2400) user
>has to do is hit a ANY key and the next lowest baud rate will be selected.
>Works for me and my 500+ BBS users, should work for you. If you wish more
>detailed help send mail.

There's a better way, though -- replace 'getty' with a program which knows
how to automatically select the proper baud rate from the "Return" it gets
from the user.  That is, the user hits <return>, and it chooses the correct
baud, word size, and parity for the user, and presents the 'initial
message'.

This has the advantage of also allowing a "long" signon message, with
directions and such, as it will not be output until the system *knows* what
settings to use (and it doesn't clutter up the 'gettydefs').

Now add to this a much more intelligent 'ungetty' for SCO; one that knows
how to release the port automatically if the process which locked it has
exited -- and you've got a winner.

*No* sequence I have ever used in 'gettydefs' was ever foolproof -- your
500+ BBS users must all be bright and log in at 7/E/1 or 8/N/1, whichever
you have chosen.  MY bbs users aren't that good -- they call with all kinds
of strange types of systems, and we try to accomodate them all.  The solution
we use handles 300 @ 8/N/1 and 1200, 2400, 9600 & 19200 at 7/E/1 or 8/N/1
(so it can handle a Trailblazer or Courier HST :-).

Only one problem with this method -- you have to write it, or find someone
else who has and will give away/sell it to you.   Since Usenet is
non-commercial I can't tell you where to find such a beast, although I might
give you a hint -- at least one company gives it away as a premium with the
purchase of some of their products. :-)

---
Karl Denninger                 |  Data: +1 312 566-8912
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc. | Voice: +1 312 566-8910
...ihnp4!ddsw1!karl            | "Quality solutions for work or play"