Configuring Xenix for 1200/2400 baud access, uucp log management

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Tue Apr 19 03:29:03 AEST 1988

In article <179 at turnkey.TCC.COM> jack at turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
[ lots of useful info ]

| time to put out a prompt and if it's gibberish it sends a break. The
| whole question of what direction to cycle the baud rates depends on
| convenience for a particular system (i.e., do you have more 2400 or
| 1200 connections).

Well... not entirely. If you have a line answer at 1200, it will take a
break to get it to 2400 (or higher). However, if the line is at a higher
speed, say answers at 2400 and you want 1200, a RETURN will generate a
framing error, which is how BREAK is detected, and cause the speed to
shift.

Because (a) this is more intuitive for humans, and (b) some old version
of SCO don't seem to send real breaks, I went with high speed first on
all of the systems I operate.

Like all hardware characteristc, this may vary, and you may get an
upshift on RETURN just fine.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)