Need information on fixes in current release of Xenix.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX caf at omen.UUCP
Wed Apr 13 06:05:34 AEST 1988

In article <217 at oha.UUCP> tony at oha.UUCP (Tony Olekshy) writes:
:I am currently running SCO Xenix System V release 2.1.3 on 286 ATs.  I have
:developed an application that currently consists of about 100k lines of C
:source code.  The linked executable is about 300kb.  I have experienced
:problems in the following areas, so if they have been fixed in the latest
:release it might be about time for me to $upgrade$ again.  Please let me know
:by email (and let me know what release you are running), and I'll post short
:answers to this group if it sounds like anyone else is interested.

If you're serious about developing an application, get the 386
flavor.  Compiles are so much faster you'll get your money
back (even with the currency exchange rate) in increased
productivity within a few months.  The 386 version does
produce binaries for the 8086 and 286 versions.

:
:  * Does profiling work on large model programs?
Can't say I've tried it.
:  * Has `make' been compiled as a large model program?
There was a large model make, but with the 386 who cares?
:  * Does cc -O work with large model programs (I even had to turn it off to
:    compile the news software w/o a cc smegma violation :-) !?
Again, the best solution is to go with the 386 flavor, which is several
times faster than a 286 large model.
:  * Does lint work with lots of source code (ours get confused)?
The 386 lint is not as brain damaged as previous versions.
:  * Does anyone have a symbolic debugger running on it yet?
Adb *is* a symbolic debugger, perhpas you mean source code debugger?
Sdb is alive on 386 Xenix (as well as 386/ix) but frankly I haven't seen
an sdb for the 386 that works as well as one I used on a 68020 sysytem
a couple years ago.
:  * Is the on-line manual available yet?
Anyone got a good price on a 200+ megabyte disk???  Seriously, what's
needed here is a cross indexed knowledge system built into the editor
so there's a reason to have those man pages on disk.
:  * What [EPV]GA cards/terminals does it support?
EGA now, VGA RSN.  Of course, your customers may expect your application
to run on older versions of Xenix, which may limit the EGA features
you can take advantage of.  Also, emulating display boards that depend
on interrupts (ATI EGA Wonder) to do their thing cause problems.
:
:Tony (...!alberta!oha!tony); Royal Canadian Association of Fauns and Satyrs.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746   CIS: 70007,2304    Genie: CAF