sendmail sources needed for xenix

Van Gale van at hawkeye.uucp
Sat Aug 27 02:09:14 AEST 1988

In article <638 at ness386.swbt.COM> mechsfm at ness386.swbt.COM (Shawn McDonald  512+377-6226) writes:
>I am currently running Xenix 2.2.3 on a 386 with an Excelan 205e ethernet
>card.  The problem I am having is setting up mail and uucp so that the
>machine is able to determine whether to route a request through the
>normal lines ( i.e. telephone lines ), or to use the ethernet connections
>to any local hosts.

To a certain extent sendmail will do what you need.  It will, of course,
route mail to the proper delivery agent.  What it won't do, at least under
Xenix with the Excelan software, is deliver via SMTP.  There are some
interesting problems with the Excelan socket library that would require
MUCHO hack and slash to the sendmail SMTP code to get it working. (I
think somebody in Cal. has sendmail SMTP working with Excelan under
Sys V/386 so the Excelan library for that system must be more complete).

The easiest thing to do is gross, and doesn't work completely.  This is to
have sendmail deliver SMTP mail to the Excelan SMTP delivery agent, and hack
(i.e. binary patch) the Excelan SMTP daemon to feed incoming mail to sendmail.
The reason this doesn't work fully is that Excelan, in their infinite
wisdom, decided since Xenix /usr/bin/mail doesn't support RFC822 addresses
in the From: field they wouldn't either.  So, if Excelan SMTP gets mail
with a "From: Van Gale <van at ocsmd.uu.net>" it comes out the other end as
"From: Van, Gale, <van" !!!  Nice eh?  So, what we had to do was write a
filter that stripped () comments and full names from From: fields before
passing the message on to Excelan SMTP.  This is really gross, but it beats
rewriting all the sendmail delivery code.

It is a great idea to run smail 2.5 along with sendmail in this situation.

You will need a configuration file (sendmail.cf) for this setup... and it
just happens I have such a beast.  If you want it e-mailed let me know.

Van
uucp     : ..{ames|decuac}!netsys!ocsmd!van  ..uunet!ocsmd!van
bitnet   : van%ocsmd at uunet.uu.net              snail : Online Computer Systems
internet : van at ocsmd.uu.net                            20251 Century Blvd.
vox      : (301) 353-8521                              Germantown, MD 20874