new groups for iX86 unix (was: Bell Tech 386 SysVr3)

John Plocher plocher at uport.UUCP
Sat Aug 20 15:28:53 AEST 1988

In article <55 at volition.dec.com> vixie at decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:
>I understand that Xenix/386
>is already system-call compatible with UNIX V.3/386 (from ISC, Bell Tech,
>and Microport);

Xenix 2.3 (announced as being avaliable on 8/15, shipping in "6 weeks")
is Xenix with the ability to run COFF binaries (V/386 and V/286 stuff).

AT&T Vr3.2 (shipping for the WGS series on 8/15) is Unix V with the ability
to support Xenix:

"This release supports the Microsoft Xenix application programming interface
(with system call extentions supporting existing Xenix SystemV/386 and Xenix
System V/286 applications) at both a source code and a binary executable
level.  The product inherits Xenix System V floating point emulation and
provides extentions supporting Xenix semaphores, messages, shared data inode
types, and mountable file systems.

[Note: this does NOT specify object level compatibility.  -John]

"The system fully conforms to the SVID and is compatible with all previous
releases of Unix System V on the Intel 80386 at a source, binary executable,
and object code level.  Unix System V/386 Release 3.2 also provides emulation
routines supporting Unix System V/286 release 2 binary executables.

The above quotes were taken from my copy of the AT&T Unix System V/386
Release 3.2 Product Overview manual which just came back from the print
shop.  ;-)

> I am expecting UNIX V.4/386 to be more or less cause the
>merge of Xenix and V/386 -- at least from a functional standpoint.

Already done in 3.2.

>On this basis, I think that two newsgroups,
>	comp.unix.sysv.i286   and
>	comp.unix.sysv.i386

why not just comp.unix.intel for all of the above - the volume does NOT
demand a split.

If you must split, why not comp.unix.intel, or comp.unix.Vr3/.Vr2

>Paul Vixie

   -John Plocher
    Microport Systems