Malloc'ing >32K bytes

Matt Reedy matt at iquery.UUCP
Fri Aug 12 03:23:20 AEST 1988

Forgive me if this has been discussed recently.  Is there an easy way under
SCO Xenix to allocate a single chunk of data >32K bytes using malloc or sbrk?
We'd really like to allocate >64K bytes also if possible.  Will repeated
calls to sbrk return contiguous chunks?

If I, by some means, do get a single pointer to a chunk >64K bytes will
the compiler handle incrementing that pointer more than 64K (i.e. normalize
the value continuously)?  We are using Lattice C under MS-DOS which provides
a 'getml' function.  This function takes a 'long' as a parameter and gives
you a big a chunk of memory as possible.  The compiler does properly normalize
the pointer as it is incremented or decremented.  Any ideas under Xenix?

Thanks in advance.

matt

--
Matthew Reedy                 UUCP: {harvard!adelie,gatech!petro}!iquery!matt
Programmed Intelligence Corp. "Lots of people without brains do alot of talking"