Bell Tech 386 SysVr3 (really a put-down of Xenix)

Steve Dyer dyer at spdcc.COM
Fri Aug 5 02:17:39 AEST 1988

Listen pal, if you think you can make your point by screaming the loudest
and the longest, you're wrong.  It's surely not going to drum up any more
business for you.  I think it's really too bad you've had such poor experience
with XENIX and serial boards and all the rest.  I wonder exactly what is
going on, since myself and many others have reported exactly the opposite
experience with the product.

I had first run XENIX 286, releases 2.1.3, 2.2, and now XENIX 386 from
beta to the latest 2.2 release.  I found the XENIX 286 compiler had problems
with some large and huge model programs, but the XENIX 386 product including
the compiler is downright bulletproof.  I use a Digiboard 4-port dumb serial
board supported by the built-in serial driver connected to 1 9600-baud leased
line and 3 Trailblazers.  No character loss on any of the lines, and yes,
I have stats from my UUCP log and from interactive use while all the lines
are being used.  My software complement includes the MH mail handler, the
latest sendmail from Berkeley, GNU Emacs, all the news software, etc.
The stuff runs first time and every time.  No observable compiler or library
problems.  Excellent support from SCO.  No complaints.

When someone flames so strongly about a product and company as you have,
presenting some evidence and more invective, when that is contrary to a lot
of people's reported experience, it's worth wondering what's going on.
What's your support experience been with SCO?  What were the applications
you were running?  Situations differ, but this is quite anomalous.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer at harvard.harvard.edu
dyer at spdcc.COM aka {harvard,husc6,linus,ima,bbn,m2c,mipseast}!spdcc!dyer