Bell Tech 386 SysVr3 (really a put-down of Xenix)

Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz sandy at turnkey.TCC.COM
Fri Aug 5 10:35:47 AEST 1988

In article <1585 at spdcc.COM>, dyer at spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
> Listen pal, if you think you can make your point by screaming the loudest
> and the longest, you're wrong.  It's surely not going to drum up any more
> business for you.  I think it's really too bad you've had such poor experience
> with XENIX and serial boards and all the rest.  I wonder exactly what is
> going on, since myself and many others have reported exactly the opposite
> experience with the product.
>
> I had first run XENIX 286, releases 2.1.3, 2.2, and now XENIX 386 from
> beta to the latest 2.2 release.  I found the XENIX 286 compiler had problems
> with some large and huge model programs, but the XENIX 386 product including
> the compiler is downright bulletproof.  I use a Digiboard 4-port dumb serial
> board supported by the built-in serial driver connected to 1 9600-baud leased
> line and 3 Trailblazers.  No character loss on any of the lines, and yes,
> I have stats from my UUCP log and from interactive use while all the lines
> are being used.  My software complement includes the MH mail handler, the
> latest sendmail from Berkeley, GNU Emacs, all the news software, etc.
> The stuff runs first time and every time.  No observable compiler or library
> problems.  Excellent support from SCO.  No complaints.
>
> When someone flames so strongly about a product and company as you have,
> presenting some evidence and more invective, when that is contrary to a lot
> of people's reported experience, it's worth wondering what's going on.
> What's your support experience been with SCO?  What were the applications
> you were running?  Situations differ, but this is quite anomalous.
> --
> Steve Dyer
> dyer at harvard.harvard.edu
> dyer at spdcc.COM aka {harvard,husc6,linus,ima,bbn,m2c,mipseast}!spdcc!dyer

Steve,

All I can add to your above comments is that I agree with your comments 100%!!
Like your self, I run both Xenix286 and Xenix386 without any major problems
or complaints. I couldn't ask for anything more reliable or dependable. I
have also run Microport Unix 286 and 386 ( which is nothing more than
the Interactive Unix with Microport enhancements ). When I originally brought
up Uport, uucp and other functions didn't even work. Microport has fixed many
of the problems as versions were released; however, when I brought up Xenix
for the first time ( SCO Xenix and NOT IBM 1.0 Xenix ) all the functions
seemed to be operational.

Let's talk about apples with apples: The Intel 286 "C" compiler and the
Microsoft "C" compiler ......... Intel--- No medium or huge models
                                 MS ----- They exist

                                 Intel - No apparent register usage
                                 MS ---- The register usage is well
                                         thought out.

Let's talk about apples with apples: The Intel 386 "C" compiler and the
Microsoft "C" compiler ......... Microport thought so much about the Intel
                                 compiler that they don't use it anymore!

                                 MS compiler -- already has the hooks in it
                                 for other models other than small.

Now to brass tacks! The interactive Unix system comes with only the provision
for a two getty system. If you want more, you must buy the multi-user license.
SCO Xenix already gives you nearly an unlimited multi-user system. The response
time of Xenix seems to me to be much faster than either the Microport
enhance Interactive Unix or the "straight from the box" Unix that is offered
by Bell. Please don't get me wrong, Interactive Unix is really a fine
product and is much cheaper then SCO Xenix; however, I expect and demand more
and that is why I strongly prefer SCO Xenix over any of the other *nix that
is offered.

Like yourself, I have had experiences with many different multi-port cards.
Also, like yourself, I haven't had any problems with the cards except for
some third part drivers that are offered with them. Present, on my 386
system in the office, I have three terminals running on the system at 19.2K
baud. Also on the system is an Excelan Ethernet card running under the
supplied software from Excelan. Needless to say, it runs flawlessly.

One parting comment: You really get what you pay for,

Sanford ( Sandy ) Zelkovitz