new groups for iX86 unix (was: Bell Tech 386 SysVr3)

Paul Vixie vixie at decwrl.dec.com
Fri Aug 19 06:42:00 AEST 1988

In <593 at morticia.cme-durer.ARPA> wallace at cme-durer.ARPA (Evan Wallace) writes:
# Also in reference to comments by a previous poster about newsgroups
# named after products i286,i386 and unix are all product names as
# well!

T'was I.  Very good point.  I'll change the way I phrase that in the future.

My experience with various brands of UNIX(tm) for the 286 and 386 tells me
that there is basically Xenix and everybody else.  All non-Xenix 286
products are basically similar, as are all non-Xenix 386 products.  Yeah,
you can yell about details, but if someone wants to know how to directly
map CGA video memory in Bell Tech 386, chances are good that an answer
from an ISC expert will do the job.

UNIX System V release 4 is coming soon.  This is due to include more stuff
from Berkeley, as well as new things from AT&T.  I understand that Xenix/386
is already system-call compatible with UNIX V.3/386 (from ISC, Bell Tech,
and Microport); I am expecting UNIX V.4/386 to be more or less cause the
merge of Xenix and V/386 -- at least from a functional standpoint.

On this basis, I think that two newsgroups,
	comp.unix.sysv.i286   and
	comp.unix.sysv.i386
will divide the traffic according to the interests of the people who would
be reading it.  There would be no cause for cross-posting.  Both groups
should be moderated.  The old groups,
	comp.unix.xenix       and
	comp.unix.microport
should be destroyed in favor of these new groups.

I am still waiting for someone to give any reason -- even a flimsy reason --
why this separation is not a good idea.
--
Paul Vixie
Digital Equipment Corporation	Work:  vixie at dec.com	Play:  paul at vixie.UUCP