new groups for iX86 unix (was: Bell Tech 386 SysVr3)

Chip Salzenberg chip at ateng.uucp
Sat Aug 20 02:20:41 AEST 1988

According to vixie at decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie):
>I am expecting UNIX V.4/386 to be more or less cause the
>merge of Xenix and V/386 -- at least from a functional standpoint.

Maybe, but it sure hasn't happened yet.  And many problems and questions are
related to OS _internals_, which I expect will always differ.  I believe
that these internal differences provide sufficient reason for a separate
newsgroup for Xenix.

>The old groups,
>	comp.unix.xenix       and
>	comp.unix.microport
>should be destroyed in favor of these new groups.

Even if we pretend that SCO Xenix is System V, we shouldn't destroy
comp.unix.xenix.  Xenix is also available for the 68000, as many Tandy
owners will affirm.

Let's try this, instead:

    comp.unix.xenix         Microsoft Xenix and its derivatives
    comp.unix.sysv.i286     AT&T Unix System V for the '286
    comp.unix.sysv.i386     AT&T Unix System V for the '386

What say?
--
Chip Salzenberg                <chip at ateng.uu.net> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering                My employer may or may not agree with me.