Bell Tech 386 SysVr3

Brian Cuthie brian at umbc3.UMD.EDU
Tue Aug 16 05:30:08 AEST 1988

In article <728 at wb3ffv.UUCP> howardl at wb3ffv.UUCP (Howard Leadmon ) writes:
>   Well this may be OK, but I would rather see it broke down into the
>different vendor catagories under the specific processors. Here is an
>example of what I mean:
>
>comp.unix.i286			General 80286 UNIX discussions
>comp.unix.i386			General 80386 UNIX discussions
>comp.unix.i286.microport	For System V/AT
>comp.unix.i386.microport	For System V/386
>comp.unix.i386.ix		For IX from Interactive for the 80386
>comp.unix.i286.xenix		For 80286 Xenix
>comp.unix.1386.xenix		For 80386 Xenix
>
> I know this idea will create a half dozen new groups, but it will certanly
>keep similar interests togeather. Also there should be no big deal about
>several subdivisions, it's only a couple extra subdirectories on our systems :-)

This idea sounds good on the surface, but I suggest that it would be about
the worst thing that could be done.

There are two main problems (as I see it, anyway):

	1.	It would be necessary to cross post most articles to
		several groups since many articles would cross group
		boundaries.

	2.	If you don't cross post, then I'm forced to read about 4 news
		groups to be sure that I haven't missed something.

I think the *real* problem could be solved by having one additional group called
"comp.unix.microport.flames"  When you look at the amount of traffic in this
group that actually has any content it's nil.  *Most* of the articles are
running debates over such technically important issues as "Bell Tech Pricing."
I don't know about you, but I got the point after the first 500 postings.

What is really needed is an alternate news group where the non-technical issues
can be discussed without causing undue stress on my 'n' key.  Of course
I realize that this posting, in itself, is somewhat hypocritical :-)

Maybe a 1 hour delay on the 'F' key would help.

-brian